Italian Wedding Soup
You can make this soup over and over even if no-one is getting married. It goes very well with a glass of red wine while you are cooking.
- 1 small onion grated
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 slice fresh white bread torn into small pieces, crust removed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound curly endive coarsely chopped
- 1/4 pound kale coarsely chopped
- 1/4 lb fresh spinach leaves
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
Stir the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Using a hand mixer stir in the cheese, beef and pork. Using 1 1/2 teaspoons per meatball, shape the meat mixture into 1 inch diameter meatballs. It is a wet mixture. Place on a baking sheet and set aside.
Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot. Add the raw meatballs, pasta, carrots, and all the greens. Simmer until meatballs are cooked through and the greens are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Whisk the eggs and cheese in a medium bowl.
Stir the soup in a circular motion. Gradually drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin strands of egg, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This recipe was adapted from a Giada de Laurentiis recipe.